10/28/12

FeedBack w. Wes Nyle. EP30 .Simply New Music (Nude Beach/Explorers Club). 10.28.12


As music continues to drown my every waking moment I have noticed a trend in new bands that gives me hope for a brighter future: Simplicity.

I use the term “Simplicity” synonymously with “Roots” and for me roots are early 90’s rock. I define this because I know that others around me are still wandering through the desert looking for a band that sounds like Bango Tango, Def Leppard or Ratt, and I make no apologies in saying that I am done with trying to understand what 80’s hair metal had to offer their generation. Even though I was born in the eighties I didn’t raise myself on that style of music for what has now become a drawn out reason. I don’t feel that there will ever be a time when Quiet Riot will try to be emulated again. There is less nostalgia in bands that harness an attitude of tits and booze over a message, or playing an instrument as wasted as possible over stepping up for an oppressed people. And I won’t support a lead singer with hair teased up further than a Judd sister. There is not nostalgia but this concept is dripping with novelty.

But this podcast isn’t about bashing 80’s hair metal bands. It’s more about how I felt as I started hearing bands consisting of members that were near my age starting to understand what normal music means to a generation. How genuine art work can show what that generation stands for. And most of the time a message is more genuinely sent simply.

A group out of New York is gaining critic attention for what is being called their second LP titled II. But from what I can tell it’s Nude Beach’s re-released earlier EP. If I close my eyes I am taken back to my smoke filled efficiency apartment enjoying what was my first taste of independence. Chuck Betz, Ryan Niadeau, and Jimmy Shelton power through 10 tracks that sound original yet familiar. Like a band you heard on a compilation or a stalker’s mix tape but never followed up on.

While the majority of critics can’t help but compare the sound of Nude Beach to “Top Petty meets Bruce Springsteen”, to me the simplicity and warmth of the trio’s sound has the feel of what Indie rock always wanted to be. Like early Strokes (Also from NY), the Presidents of the United States of America, or Face to Face. Really the only aspect of this band that lends them to the 60’s and the 70’s is an album with 10 tracks. A move that the band admits was done strategically with the idea of and A side and a B side in mind.

While the subject of new nostalgia is on my mind let me bring up the South Carolinian sextet The Explorers Club a band I was awakened to by David Wild of Huffington Post and a regular on the Adam Carolla podcast. There is no doubt that sometime in late 2007 I heard these guys on an episode of The O.C. a show that I’m not ashamed to admit I watched every episode of when I was living in a one bedroom apartment with four other dudes.

The Explorers Club released their 2nd full length Grand Hotel earlier this year and in a way it feels good not knowing about a band until you have something to catch up on. Both albums remind me of taking extended road trips with my dad in his baby blue 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible. I listened to the entire Beach Boys collection through cheap foam head phones with the biggest chromed out Sony cassette player ever to be created. The likeness of this band to the Beach Boys, can be traced back to the producer Mark Linett, who worked with the band on their teaser EP’s for Grand Hotel. Mark has worked with the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, and also digitally re-masterd Pet Sounds for it’s rerelease some years back.

I feel like as time progresses this younger generation is being led to an auto-tuned, dubb stepped, electronic version of what 80’s cock rock used to be. Like they may be frightened by a song with an understanding or enlightening message. Hearing Mumford & Sons and Modest Mouse on an younger persons Pandora station recently gave me hope that youth still wants more than songs about “Boats and Hoes”.

I do want to say that I believe there is a place in the world for fun music, but it doesn’t keep me from celebrating the Isaac Brocks, Zack De La Rochas, Chris Cornells, and Fat Mikes that made me want to write, and listen to music. And more than being a music snob I want to express my admiration for new bands that embrace classic techniques, garnished with modern subtext.

Tracks Heard In This Podcast:
The Explorers Club – Grand Hotel
Ratt – Way Cool Jr.
Nude Beach – Walkin’ Down My Street
Nude Beach – Looser in the Game
The Explorers Club – Lost My Head
The Explorers Club – Forever
NoFx – Eat the Meek

No comments:

Post a Comment