12/7/12

FeedBack w. Wes Nyle. EP32. Tame Impala. 11.07.12


I’m back and I hope you’re all doing well. Thanks for sticking with me during my move and the podcast dry spell. The truth is I’ve hardly had any time to think about recording with the move. I have, however had several ideas floating around in my head. For instance I am thinking of changing the name of this podcast to Digital Spray Paint. And I am going to make the format a bit different, offering more variety, in the ways of interviews with bands, alongside phone conversations with my radio alumni, and comedian friends.

With that said I am going to give you one more traditional FeedBack podcast the way it’s been since I started this little project. Also listen for a series I’m calling the 12 tracks of Christmas, that will IV drip songs throughout the month of December for your listening pleasure, as we get ready to start the new podcast format that will beguine soon after the new year.

Thanks for listening now here’s the Podcast.


A phone conversation with my friend recently had me thinking about how much great music comes out of Australia. With the obvious bands out of the way I posted a FaceBook comment and received several comments from you guys as well, listing a ton of iconic rock, that hails from the land down under. I’m not 100% certain of what it is they do differently there but I can say that Australia has yet to produce a rock band that disappoints me.

Tame Impala is a band that popped up about two years ago with their debut record Innerspeaker, and shares an ambiance similar to America’s Interpol. The band was originally known as The Dee Dee Drums and is a c ollaboration of other indie groups fronted by Kevin Parker who also plays drums in Pond: A band that compares to other Australian notables like the Vines and Wolfmother. It’s also comprised of Tame Impala members Jay Watson and Nick Allbrook.

Kevin’s drumming would show up again in his work with Mink Mussel Creek a group that was comprised of his friends in the Australian underground music scene as well as members of Tame Impala. The group started recording in 2008 but because of setbacks weren’t able to officially release their record, however in this technology age there is a way to find anything online, and the recordings were eventually released. Which is good for me because otherwise I wouldn’t have a song segue right here.
There’s more to Parker than rhythm, he also shows intuition towards recording and effect pedal usage, with nearly 20 pedals in his arsenal while on stage. In an interview with UnderCover TV he elaborated on his take towards using pedals in a new way that helps create a sound that newer musicians are wishing they thought of.

This past October Tame Impala released their latest full length titled Lonerism an album that embodies the atmospherical, environmentally, synth blanketed rock that fans have grown to crave. A mention of this new album by one of my FaceBook followers has me leaving you with two tracks from these guys. Go by my site WesTexasMedia.com for a full track list of this episode, check out the video for Expectation, and listen to some more poddy deliciousness.

Tracks Heard on this Podcast:
It’s Not Ment to Be – Tame Impala
Jeremy’s Storm – Tame Impala
Fantastic Explosion in Time – Pond
Doesn’t the Moon Look Good Tonight – Mink Mussel Creek
Expectation – Tame Impala
Mind Mischief – Tame Impala
Music to Walk Home By – Tame Impala

No comments:

Post a Comment